Saturday, January 14, 2023

I Will Follow God's Plan for Me

When I started out to teach this song to my primary, most of which were in Junior Primary, I tried to come up with a way to engage the littles and help them understand and identify with the words of the song.  I decided to use physical objects and put them all in a pre-wrapped gift box with a wrapped lid that we could easily open to display all the items.  I had the gift in the center of a small table and had all the kids stand around it as we chose items to match the words in the song. 

The last page of my flipchart is "God's Plan for Me" which I printed out used to discuss the milestones of the plan had them raise their hand if they had done the milestone.  Of course all of them could raise their hand on the first two signs or milestones, some of them could raise their hands on being baptized and adults could raise their hands on the others.

I rolled up "the plan" into a scroll with a rubber band around it and put it in the box. Other items I had in my gift box were two squishy balls (one was a smiley face for "happy" and one was a globe for "earth"), a small laminated picture of heaven (like in the flipchart), a flashlight for "God's light", a baby doll, a very small set of scriptures, a beanbag heart, a spade (you could also use a wash cloth or something else representing "work"), a pair of Barbie shoes, and a little toy house.  I also had from a previous song on prayer a little pyramid with pictures of children and Jesus praying on it (pictured below, I printed it on cardstock and covered it with packing tape so they wouldn't smudge).  You could also use a small framed picture of someone praying or something like that. 

As we sang the song, the child holding the item that matched the words would hold it up high, they ended up jumping when it was their turn.  After each verse, the kids with an item would give it to someone who hadn't had an item before to hold for the next time through.  After a few times through the song and each child had been able to hold an item, I had them put their item in the gift box for the last time through.  Many repetitions were very easy to get this way.

The flipchart doesn't have all the words, but has pictures to represent the words which helped them remember easily without lots of pages.

You can find my flipchart here:  I Will Follow God's Plan for Me



No comments:

Post a Comment