Friday, January 27, 2023

Faith (song from the Children's Songbook)

I was released as Primary Music Leader several years ago, but I still see posts on the Facebook page and noticed that many of the songs I taught are back again.  So I looked through the list and decided that I should post the flipcharts that I made those years ago so new leaders can use them an not "re-invent the wheel" as one commenter put it.

The song "Faith" on page 96 of the Children's Songbook is on the list for April (2023) so I pulled out my flipchart for it.  As I looked at it, I realized that I had forgotten many of words, especially since my flipchart has very few words to help me. Then I remembered that I there were many children in Junior Primary, most of whom did not yet read.  So I set out to make a flipchart with few words and mostly pictures that would help them remember the words I taught them to sing.  I also was trying to have as few pages as possible to save on ink and page turning.  I only put "Faith is knowing" once on each page because it is repeated for the second line again so I would just point to the same words and the kids knew even those that couldn't read that we were repeating the same words.  

What I don't have anymore, because I left it in the Primary closet for future leaders, is a poster I made where I had a sun that started at the bottom of the poster on a string that went to the top and through the poster to the back where I could pull it and show the sun rising.  Same thing with a seedling accordion folded at the bottom that would "grow" as I pulled the string.  Kids loved coming up to be the helper who got to pull the strings!  I don't remember the rest of the poster and unfortunately it is no longer in the closet.

I love teaching this song to children because the gospel principles are so important and the imagery is powerful and memorable.

You can find my flipchart here:  Faith (few words, 2 pages)

1 comment: